Sunday 11 May 2014

Unabashedly unsocial


I have never been a very social person. Memories of those moments often pop up when while my sisters would be busy entertaining the guests I’d jail myself in the world of books and music. No, I have neither been a bibliophile but books have been the best escapades. Resorting to a career like media, I soon realized the key role socializing plays in escalating your career graph. Talking of socializing, in this age of new media, the word ‘socializing’, without the interference of the cyber world can sound quite profane. To avoid any such heresy, I too surrendered myself wilfully to the universe of social media.

With nearly eight hundred friends (read namesake) and a recently developed twitter handle with mere sixty followers, I am gradually climbing the ladders of networking and socializing, in today’s sense of the term. Leaving alone twitter, as not much of my friends have made their debut into the site, let’s talk about Facebook. The ten-year-old networking giant has become the lynchpin of existence now. A recent development on my FB profile has compelled me to contemplate on the very purpose of the site. It’s been nearly a year that the only updates I get is about an old school mate getting hitched, another going on a honeymoon across the globe and yet another delivering her second child. With a flurry of overtaxed notes and photographs of conjugal bond and childbirth, my profile sometime looks like a baby calendar and most of the time like a matrimonial site. It is incredibly amusing how people have the mettle and time of keeping the world updated from a labour room or ‘shaadi ka mandap’.  While some might define this new-age phenomenon as an act of socializing, for me it is nothing but ‘extreme insanity’. Having said this, I would always prefer being tagged as a recluse than indulge in such hilarious social cacophony.




No comments:

Post a Comment